Friday-Sunday, February 28 - March 2, 2014
Boca Grande, Florida
Dear All: – The 2014 NCE/NJIT Soccer Alumni Reunion will be here before you know it. Make plans now to join us. These are family affairs and spouses, kids/grandkids are welcomed. Our beloved Coach Mal will be there as usual with his better half, Diane, to keep him in check. Anyone interested in attending should call Fabio Hurtado '74 to make their reservation: FabianH3@hotmail.com or call my cell phone at 407-334-9832.
The 2014 reunion is being hosted by Ed Cruz '63 and his wife Sharon who are graciously rolling out the red carpet to their beautiful home in Boca Grande, FL for some of the weekend activities (map). If you are not familiar with Boca Grande, I urge you to check it out in the internet. It is an idyllic island with a Key West kind of feel but not overwhelmed with tourists. For those of you that may not have attended these reunions in past years, this one would be a good one to plan on attending and see what the buzz is all about.
Friday, February 28
- 6:30 p.m. – Dinner at the 3rd Street Cafe in Boca Grande. (Anyone getting in early or getting lost can drop by Ed and Sharon's house, just down the street from the restaurant.)
Saturday, March 1
- 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. – Boca Grande Strawberry Festival.
- 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. – Picnic at the Park.
- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Our annual Soccer Alumni game.
- 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. – Golf outing at the Coral Creek Club.
- 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Saturday evening reception at the home of Ed and Sharon Cruz. (Those wishing to partake in a more formal sit-down dinner can make reservations for 8:00 p.m. at any one of the excellent restaurants in town, including PJ's Seagrille, The Temp, 3rd Street Cafe, South Beach, the Pink Elephant, and Millers Marina.)
Sunday, March 2
- Sunday morning – Breakfast is outstanding at the 3rd Street Cafe and at the Outlet at the Innlet and more casual at the Inn Bakery on 3rd near 4th.
- Family picnic/reunion/game on Saturday
- Golf for the hackers on Friday and/or Sunday (both are possibilities once we know who wants to play).
- Boca Grande is a beautiful place to stroll around and the beaches are super.
Although Ed and Sharon have been forewarned that this group is notorious for waiting until the last minute to act, they are committed to make this a special reunion and would sincerely appreciate our timely input regarding the following questions:
- Are you coming? How many in your party?
- Are you interested in playing golf? If yes, could you make it on Friday? Ed is trying to schedule a group at his club, Coral Creek, but he needs to know how many players as early as possible.
Please confirm attendance, include number of people in your party, by contacting: Fabio Hurtado: FabianH3@hotmail.com or call my cell phone at 407-334-9832.
Lastly, please feel free to circulate this message among teammates from your respective classes. From past experience, players are more likely to respond if they receive a personal invite from a teammate. Make it a point to bring at least one player from your respective class. These reunions started with Mal Simon having dinner one year with Fabio Hurtado '74 and Joe Diaz '85 in Orlando and the rest is history. Just seeing old friends and comparing notes about how our lives have evolved beyond NCE/NJIT is very satisfying and a worthwhile experience. By the way, the reunion is not limited to former soccer players. NCE/NJIT alumni are welcomed. To make your reservation to join us, please email Fabio Hurtado '74 at FabianH3@hotmail.com or call my cell phone at 407-334-9832..
1. The famous Gasparilla Inn 877-403-0599
2. The Innlet 941-964-4600
3. The Anchor Inn 941-964-5600
4. Island House Inn (Boca Grande Resort) 941-964-4443
5. Holiday Inn Express 1-888-426-4896
6. Boca Grande Village Inn, Danielle at 1-800-741-3074, or by email at "email@example.com"
7. Palmetto Inn 1-941-964-0410.
The Gasparilla Inn is the most expensive of the four; however, there should be enough of a selection to meet everyone’s needs.
Sarasota Airport is the closest, but Fort Myers offers more flights. You may also have more options/better fares flying into Tampa International. The drive from TPA to Boca Grande is about two hours.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need additional information.