The grant is conditional because you receive it in exchange for agreeing to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. As a recipient of a TEACH Grant (link this to www.teachgrant.ed.gov), you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education and will be charged interest from the date the grant(s) was disbursed. (TEACH Grant recipients will be given a 6-month grace period before entering repayment if a TEACH Grant is converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan.)
There are significant consequences if you receive a TEACH Grant and do not complete the Conditions described above; therefore, do not apply for the grant unless you are certain that you will complete all the Conditions. As stated above, if you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the Conditions, you will be required to repay the grants as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.
Student Eligibility Requirements
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). (You do not have to demonstrate financial need.)
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate student in a postsecondary educational institution that has chosen to participate in the TEACH Grant Program.
- Be enrolled in course work that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such course work. Such course work can include subject-area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher).
- Meet certain academic achievement requirements (typically, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25).
- Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.
For more information, view the TEACH Grant Fact Sheet (PDF).