Student Employment (Work-Study)

Students all over campus are lowering their school bills and getting practical work experience through NJIT's work-study programs—working in academic departments and administrative offices, and giving back in community-service programs.

NJIT currently has two separate programs: Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) and Institutional Work-Study (IWS).

What's the Difference?
FCWS eligibility is determined as part of your financial-aid package; IWS jobs are available for those who don't qualify for FCWS. FCWS earnings aren't counted as income on your FAFSA, so you'll be eligible for more aid in the subsequent year.

To be eligible for FCWS, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Be enrolled in classes as a degree-seeking student
  • Have an FCWS allocation as part of your financial aid package.

For IWS, you must:

  • Be accepted into a program as a degree-seeking student
  • Be enrolled at least half time if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident—or full time if you're an international student.

To find out what you're eligible for, complete the FAFSA if you haven't already done so.

Through work-study, you could be a technical assistant, teaching assistant, computer-systems technician, programmer or Web developer, Web designer, help-desk consultant, or game-room desk attendant. There plenty of different jobs to choose from. Read our work-study policies and apply for a job.

Steps to apply for jobs VIA the PeopleAdmin Employment System


Getting Paid

You have the option to receive your pay check in one of three ways:

  • Direct Deposit - If you select direct deposit, your earnings will be automatically deposited into the appropriate account.


  • Held for Pick-Up - You can pick up your pay check at the Payroll Office in Fenster Hall.


  • Mailed - You can have your pay check mailed. If you choose this option, your pay check will be mailed to your permanent address; if you’d like the check mailed elsewhere (e.g., your dorm address) download and complete the Change of Address form and submit to Student Financial Aid Services (SFAS) for processing.

Have more questions? Contact Student Financial Aid Services.