Welcome to the Office of Student Global Initiatives





The Office of Student Global Initiatives is the primary university resource and focal point for international student services. The Office provides international students with comprehensive, on-going assistance in all matters related to maintaining valid immigration status. It oversees and offers a range of programs and services, throughout the year, to ease the student adjustment to the NJIT community.

In addition to orientation programs prior to the beginning of each semester, the Office provides updated information and advice regarding the complex ever-changing federal regulations. Other services include:

  •     Work permission and practical training recommendations (CPT & OPT)

  •     Travel and dependents' documents

  •     Full time certification letters, visit letters and commencement letters

  •     Social Security and banking referral letters.

Also, the Office administers and coordinates the university’s exchange program.

Note:     The Office of Student Global Initiatives does not handle admissions applications or decisions. Kindly direct your inquiries regarding your admission status to admissions@njit.edu or call the Office of University Admissions at 973-596-3300.

NJIT on FacebookJoin our NJIT International Students Group on Facebook

       Join our Tumblr page

Emergency Withdrawal and/or Mandated Assessment for Risk


OPT Sept. 10 3:00-4:15 pm Ballroom B
OPT Sept. 22 same as above Cullimore LH 2
OPT October 14 same as above Cullimore LH 3
OPT October 26 same as above Atrium
OPT November 9 same as above Cullimore LH 1
OPT December 2 same as above Kupfrian 103
OPT December 8 same as above Kupfrian 108


•  If you are completing your program this semester, you MUST attend one workshop.

•  Applications for OPT MUST reach the Vermont Service Center and be receipted within 30 days of the signature of the international student advisor. 

•  Your paperwork will be processed only after you have attended a workshop.

•  Please bring your most recent I-20 and passport to the workshop.

•  USCIS processing times can reach 90 days. Plan accordingly. In other words, APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.  However, if you have any doubts about completing your program, please see an international student advisor FIRST before applying for OPT.

•  The workshops begin promptly. Please be considerate to your fellow students and staff and do not arrive late

REMINDER:  Form I-765 Application fee for OPT is $380.



Walk in Dates:

November 4         (9-11:30 am)

November 5         (1-3:30 pm)

November 12        (2-4:00 pm)

November 18      (9-11:30 am)

November 19      (1-3:30 pm)

November 25      (9-11:30 am)


TRAVEL REMINDER:  If you are traveling, your CURRENT, ORIGINAL, I-20 must be signed by the Office of Student Global Initiatives.  The signature is valid for 6 months.  NOTE:  You must be enrolled in classes.

IMPORTANT: For those applying for H-1B status:

Students who have a receipt number should contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at 1-800-375-5283. If the student does not have their receipt number, they should contact the employer that filed the original petition.



Contact Cristiana Kunyczka at kunyczka@njit.edu or call 973-596-2451


Maintaining Your F1 Non Immigration Status

Title 8 of Code of Federal Regulations


How to Maintain Your F-1 Immigration Status in the U.S.

To maintain your legal status in the United States as an F1 student, you must remember these important requirements:

1) Report to the Office of Student Global Initiatives at 140, Fenster Hall, no more than 30 days after start date of I-20

2) Always enroll FULL-TIME during the academic year

3) Update your local address within 10 days of moving

4) Keep your immigration documents VALID and CURRENT:


    b) Apply for an EXTENSION BEFORE the "completion of studies" date in Item 5 of your I-20

    c) Be sure your I-20 states the correct degree program and level in Item 4

5) If you plan to transfer to another school, come in to the Office of Student Global Initiatives to discuss the immigration status transfer.

6) Notify the Office of Student Global Initiatives of a new degree program no later than 60 days after graduating

7) NEVER work off-campus without PRIOR authorization from Office of Student Global Initiatives.

8) Notify the office when you leave the U.S. or change visa status

9) If you TRAVEL outside the United States, be SURE to have the proper re-entry documents

1. Report to the Office of Student Global Initiatives no more than 30 days after start date of I-20

It is REQUIRED that you come to the Office of Student Global Initiatives no more than 30 days after the start date of your I-20 (listed in Item 5 of your I-20). Bring your passport, your I-20 and your electronic I-94 print out with you to Fenster Hall 140.

2. Always Enroll Full Time

F-1 students must maintain full-time student status every semester. For undergraduate students, full-time is at least 12 credits each semester.  Graduate students are required to register for 9 credits. There are some rare exceptions to this regulation however, please talk to the staff BEFORE you drop below full time enrollment or take a leave of absence.

3. Update your Local Address with the Immigration Service

You must do this by updating your new address in highlander pipeline in Banner.  You are required to use a physical residential address and not a PO Box or a NJIT department address. You can update your address on our website at: ois.njit.edu

4. Keep your Immigration Documents VALID and CURRENT

You should make photocopies of your immigration documents and keep the copies and originals in a safe place. Photocopy:

* the passport pages with your personal information and picture

* the passport page containing the U.S. visa stamp

* I-94 Form

* your I-20, pages 1-3

    a) Keep your Passport Valid

    You should keep your passport valid while you are studying in the U.S. Consult your country's consulate or embassy in the U.S. to renew your passport. You can find the contact information for your consulate at: http://travel.state.gov.

    b) F-1 Extension

    The end date of your immigration status is written on your I -20 as the "completion of studies" date, in item #5 (not the end date of your visa stamp). * If you need more time to complete your course of study, you must apply for an extension BEFORE the I-20 completion date. If you do not complete the extension before that date, you will be out of status. Pick up an F-1 Program Extension request form from the Office of Student Global Initiatives to begin the process.

5. Discuss Transfer Plans with an Office of Student Global Initiatives advisor

If you plan to transfer to another school, contact the Office of Student Global Initiatives.

6. Notify us of a new degree program no later than 60 days after graduating

If you plan to go on to another program of study after graduating from NJIT, either at NJIT or at another school, you MUST contact us and complete the appropriate immigration procedures NO LATER THAN 60 DAYS after graduating from the first degree.

7. Never Work Off-campus Without Prior Authorization

Employment opportunities for international students in the U.S. are restricted by law and fall in two types of employment:

    On-campus Employment: Enrolled F- 1 students are permitted to work on campus for 20 hours per week during academic year and 40 hours per week     during summer and winter breaks.

    Off-campus Employment: Off-campus employment is any type of work or services performed in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies,           room, food or any other benefit that is not on the NJIT campus. A work permit is required BEFORE any off-campus work is allowed. 

8. You must notify us when you leave the U.S. or Change Visa Status

When you finish your program and leave the U.S. permanently or you change to another visa status (for instance if an employer plans to do an H1B visa application for you after you graduate or finish your OPT), please notify us of your plans.

9. Traveling outside of the United States

Re-entering the U.S. after a Temporary Absence

To re-enter the U.S., you need to have the following documents:

• valid passport (except Canadians unless entering from outside the Western Hemisphere)

• valid F-1 or F-2 visa stamp (except Canadians)

• current I-20 with a valid travel signature (see I-20 Endorsement)

• proof of financial support (bank statements and/or scholarship, financial aid or Teaching / Research Assistant award notice letter)

• proof of enrollment (certificate of enrollment or transcript). You can obtain a certificate of enrollment from the registrar’s office at  http://www.njit.edu/registrar/

Traveling to Canada

Before traveling to Canada, check visa requirements and download a Canadian visitor visa application at http://www.cic.gc.ca .

Renewing Your Visa Stamp

If you or your dependents need to renew your visa stamps in order to re-enter the U.S., you must apply in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Applicants are normally required to submit the following documentation to include but not limited to:

• valid passport

• current passport-size photographs

• valid Form I-20 (complete three-page form)

• proof of financial support (bank statements and/or scholarship, financial aid or TA/RA letter)

• proof of enrollment (certificate of enrollment or transcript). You can download a certificate of enrollment from the registrar’s web site at: http://www.njit.edu/registrar/forms/pdf/enrollcert.pdf

• Document showing intent to return to home country

I-20 Endorsement (Travel Signature on page 2 of I-20)

You need to have a valid travel signature from the staff on your I-20 in order to re-enter the U.S. The signature is valid for 12 months.

I-20 Endorsement for Canadians or students on OPT

Canadians and students on Optional Practical Training need a travel signature from the staff within the last six months to be valid for re-entry to the U. S.

F-2 Dependents

The spouse or child of an F-1 student enters the U.S. in F-2 status. Any student wishing to bring a spouse and/or child to the U.S. should visit the office to have the necessary documents prepared. People in F- 2 status are not eligible for employment and may not enroll in a course of study. For traveling and re-entering the U.S., F-2 dependents need all the same documents as the F-1 would need as outlined above including an I-20 that is produced with the F-2’s biographical information.

**Notes on Visa Stamps and Immigration Status

Visa Stamp

The visa stamp in your passport was obtained at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad and is used for entering the U.S. The visa stamp functions as a key to enter the U.S. Once you are here in the U.S., you do not need to keep your visa stamp current. It is only when you are leaving the U.S. and need to return that you must be sure that you have a valid U.S. visa stamp to re-enter the U.S. [Note: Canadian citizens are not required to have a visa stamp, but they must show their I-20 and proof of Canadian citizenship at the U.S. port of entry.]

Immigration Status

Immigration status is granted at the U.S. port of entry. Most of you have F-1 student status. In most situations your visa type and immigration status are the same, unless you have changed your immigration status after entering the U.S. For instance, some F-1 students have changed their status to F-2 (the dependent of F- 1 student) or to another temporary immigration status. To maintain your legal status in the U.S., check your I-20 (not the visa stamp in your passport). For F-1 students, the "completion of studies" date under item 5 on your I-20 Form is the end date of your immigration status.

Immigration Questions:

If at any point you have questions about your immigration status or plans you have that may be impacted by immigration regulations, please contact the us. The Office of Global Initiatives has the most current and accurate immigration information and we are dedicated to helping you achieve your educational goals while here at NJIT.


Office of Student Global Initiatives

140 Fenster Hall

Phone: 973-596-2451 *** Fax: 973-596-5450

Website: ois.njit.edu

Email: international.students@njit.edu

Office hours: Monday – Friday (8:30am – 4:30pm)



The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) Student Health Services (SHS) would like to share the following information with our international students or those studying abroad.  The World Health Organization  (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak to be an international emergency.  However, it has not classified it as a pandemic (epidemic of infectious disease). At this time, the New Jersey Department of Health, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued advisories which NJIT Student Health Services is closely monitoring.

 For students who are travelling from any of the countries in West Africa at high risk, we do advise that you review the information you received at the time of your arrival into the US at the airport.

• The CDC advises students and all travelers to follow the monitoring guidelines.  The guidelines are based on your level of risk. 

• If you have no risk you will not be asked to do any monitoring.

• If you are in the at risk categories you will be required to be monitored.( http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/advice-for-colleges-universities-and-st...)

o You may be asked to monitor yourself and /or check-in with the local Health Department.

o You are to contact the NJIT Student Health Services at 973-596-3621 upon arrival on the NJIT campus, so we can review the monitoring plan.

o If you are ask to either self-monitor or report to the local Health Department for 21 days, we will require that you adhere to the plan. 

Symptoms of Ebola typically include:

• Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F)

• Severe headache

• Muscle pain

• Weakness

• Diarrhea

• Vomiting

• Abdominal (stomach) pain

• Lack of appetite

Some patients may experience:

• Rash

• Red eyes

• Hiccups

• Cough

• Sore throat

• Chest pain

• Difficulty breathing

• Difficulty swallowing

• Unexplained bleeding inside and outside of the body

If you experience any of those symptoms during the 21-day period after your arrival, contact the representative from the Local Health Department by phone as soon as possible at the number provided to you.  If you can not reach that person, you may can call NJIT SHS at 973-596-3621. If it is after hours and we are not available, call NJIT Public Safety at 973-596-3111. We advise that you not come directly to SHS or go to any other health care facility before calling us to receive advice on how to access urgent medical care.  This precaution is required because:

• If you are possibly contagious, you will not put others at risk while you are traveling to the medical care facility.

• If you need transport to the nearest medical facility by ambulance, you will be required to let health care providers know that you have travelled from an Ebola Virus Disease high-risk area.


Contact#:   973-596-2451

Email:  international.students@njit.edu


Website Disclaimer Notice

All content, materials, information and images (collectively “content”) within this site may be protected by U.S. copyright laws and may not be copied or republished without the express written permission of their respective owners. All rights are reserved by the original owners. All content is available for informational and noncommercial uses only. NJIT is offering the content strictly as a public service and can make no guarantee as to the accuracy or suitability for a given purpose of any of the content or third party services or programs mentioned on this site. All content is provided on an “as is” basis with no warranties of any kind, and all users bear all risks associated with using the same.

Although NJIT may include links providing direct access to other Internet resources, NJIT is not responsible for the accuracy of the content contained in these sites. Links from NJIT to third party services do not constitute an endorsement by NJIT of their products or services and NJIT has not investigated the same. Any transactions that you enter into with a third party mentioned on or linked to this site is solely between you and the other party. NJIT is not responsible for any such third party or its content that may be accessed via this site. NJIT does not endorse the content contained in these sites, nor the organizations publishing those sites, and hereby disclaims any responsibility for the same.