Who is suited for this program?
This Certificate is primarily suited for professionals who intend to learn/expand their careers as technical writers, editors, trainers, website designers, and documentation specialists.
What are the Required Courses?
|Advanced Professional and Technical Communication||3|
|Elements of Visual Design||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|Professional and Technical Editing|
|Content Management and Information Architecture|
|Web-based Training Design|
What will I learn?
- Advanced Professional and Technical Communication which introduces students to the profession and the academic discipline of technical/professional communication. It includes usability analysis; visual information; ethics; global communication; report writing; information literacy; communicating with new technologies; and technical writing style.
- Elements of Visual Design which integrates theories of design, techniques of composition, and technologies of electronic and print publishing.
- Content Management and Information Architecture will focus on the use of Information Architecture methodologies (such as, DITA or DocBook) to develop a structure for presenting technical information and on Content Management tools for creating a single source repository for this information. In-demand proprietary software free to students in course.
- Professional and Technical Editing includes correctness and conciseness, hard copy and on-line editing, editing graphics, document management, editor-author relationships, and ethical considerations in editing.
- eLearning Design for Mobile is a critical skill for today's technical communicator. Specific skills and tools are required to ensure a successful implementation. Based on proven user centered design concepts, this course provides the student with the skills necessary to create effective mobile training programs.. In-demand proprietary software free to students in course.
Why study Technical Communication Essentials at NJIT?
The graduate certificate’s narrow focus allows you to dig deep into this specific topic, and start applying your knowledge sooner. It is possible to earn this certificate fully through online courses. And, in doing so, you’ll learn from NJIT’s distinguished professors and instructors.
NJIT standard admission requirements apply to this graduate certificate.
Related Degree Programs
This credential relates in its entirety to NJIT MS in Professional and Technical Communication.
Check the course descriptions for more information. Some course has perquisites and must be taken in order.
Faculty Advisor: Andrew Klobucar