Institutional Review Board
Under a Federal wide Assurance with the United States Department of Health and Human Services, all research involving human subjects performed by NJIT faculty, staff, and students either on-campus or off-campus, including at other institutions, must be reviewed and approved prior to initiation by the NJIT Institutional Review Board (IRB).
According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services:
- Research is defined as systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to new knowledge.
- Human Subjects are living individuals about whom an investigator conducting research obtains (1) data from an intervention or interaction with the individual, or (2) identifiable information.
Read more about testing of Human Subject and download forms for getting approval for human subject research.
The Institutional Review Board reports to the Vice Provost for Research. Members of the Institutional Review Board for the 2016-2017 academic year are:
- Farzan Nadim, Department of Biological & Mathematical Science, Chairperson
- Norma Rubio, Research Information Systems, Co-Chairperson
- Tara Alvarez, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Eugene Deess, Institutional Research
- Atam Dhawan, Vice Provost for Research (Resource)
- Eric Hetherington, Sponsored Research Programs
- Britt Holbrook, Department of Humanities
- Xiaobo Li, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Malcolm W. Nason, PainQX
- Angela Retino, Office of Research (Resource)
- Judith Sheft, Office of Technology Development
- Ricky Suchak, Sandoz, a Novartis company
- Brian Tierney, University Counsel (or designee)
Members of the NJIT IRB are required to ensure that conflicts of interest do not compromise the rights and welfare of human research participants. An IRB Member Conflict of Interest Disclosure Agreement is signed by each member of the NJIT IRB
2016/2017 IRB Meeting Schedule
Note: The forms must be received by the IRB at least one week before the meeting to ensure enough time for accurate review. Otherwise, it will reviewed at the following month's meeting.
- Tuesday, July 19, 2016
- Tuesday, September 13, 2016
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016
- Tuesday, November 8, 2016
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016
- Wednesday, February 8, 2017
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017
- Wednesday, April 12, 2017
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017