Who is this program recommended for?
This program, which is completely available online, is ideal for working professionals who want or need to update skills for their current profession. Students who want to change careers and enter the field of social media will also gain from this certificate. Corporations, government, big and small businesses all need the expertise of specialists in social media.
What are the Required Courses?
|Advanced Professional and Technical Communication||3|
|Advanced Information Design||3|
|Research Methods in Information Design||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Theory and Practice of Social Media|
|Analyzing Social Networks|
|Designing Social Media|
What will I learn?
- Deep understanding of the relationship between communication, design, and technology
- Professional use of social media as communication tools in business, education, by non-profits and as communities of interest
- How and when to use blogging, tagging, wiki writing, podcasting, and tweeting.
- Social media strategies for reading and writing in today’s multi-cultural, screen-oriented, networked culture.
- Detailed understanding of online visual communication strategies and community building -- design and creation of multimedia objects, usability heuristics, navigation theory, contemporary design practices and online community building
- User research methods such as contextual inquiry, ethnographic field studies, card sorting, affinity diagramming, and usability testing that provide the foundation for user-centered design
- User and task analysis, rhetorical strategies
- Contemporary types of technical communication
- Comprehensive professional ePortfolio of your work that will enhance your résumé
Why study Social Media Essentials at NJIT?
NJIT, at the leading edge of technology and science, provides the technical backbone for a program involving social media. Several market indicators point to this field as a strong career choice for 2010 and beyond. The United States Department of Labor, US News and World Report, and The Wall Street Journal have all recently identified expertise in social media as a knowledge area in high demand.
NJIT standard admission requirements apply to this graduate certificate. In addition:
- High-speed internet connection access from a computer that is not behind a firewall. Access to Moodle and to synchronous chat are often prevented by many companies' security policies. Please check with your company if you plan to access this course from work.
- Familiarity with using the computer as a tool of learning.
- Fluency with Microsoft Word, and confidence in exploring the Internet.
- Commitment to distance learning as a mode of education. You should be prepared to visit the course Web site daily and post observations in discussion groups. If technical problems arise, you will not let these stand in the way of obtaining material and submitting work.
Related Degree Programs
This credential relates in its entirety to NJIT MS in Professional and Technical Communication
Check the course descriptions for more information. Some course has prerequisites and must be taken in order.
Faculty Advisor: Andrew Klobucar