To facilitate the research productivity of master's and doctoral candidates, the following format rules were adopted by NJIT for theses and dissertations. The following provides detailed examples of abstract pages, title pages, proper document format, etc. These format standards have been developed to ensure a degree of consistency in the written presentation of research and should be followed by all students.
- Avoiding Format Problems in the Document (.PDF)
- Proper Order of Thesis and Dissertation Pages (.PDF)
- Important Information about Paper Quality
- Steps for Page Numbering for Thesis and Dissertation Document (.PDF for 2013)
- Steps for Creating a Table of Contents (.PDF) | (.DOC)
- List of Correct Combinations of Graduate Degrees and Departments or Interdisciplinary Programs at NJIT: Title Page Documentation
- Process for Thesis and Dissertation Document Approval (.PDF)
- Timetable for Thesis and Dissertation Document Approval (.PDF)
Note: Thesis and Dissertation review for format by the Office of Graduate Studies must occur prior to defense and final submission.
LaTeX Style Guide
- LaTeX Template for UNIX (minor changes may be needed)
Information for Doctoral Students
- For PhD students who have already defended their dissertation, complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates at this link
- For PhD students who have submitted their final dissertation, information for requesting a completion letter is available at this link
Thesis and Dissertation Formatting Examples
The following formatting examples can be used as samples.
Includes Abstract, Title (List of Correct Title Pages), Copyright, Approval Page, Biographical Sketch, Dedication, Acknowledgment, Table of Contents, List of Tables, List of Figures, and List of Symbols or Definitions (optional).
Includes Introduction, Body, Figures, and Tables.
Includes Survey Documents, Questionnaires, Permission Forms, additional Figures or Tables.
Includes References according the preferred style for academic discipline, which subject specialists at the Robert Van Houten Library can help to determine. A list of these specialists can be found at: http://library.njit.edu/staff/librarian/